Rasmus came to Mosman Veterinary Hospital after vomiting a few times and becoming lethargic. Initial blood testing did confirm the most likely culprit was lily toxicity. All parts of lily plants can be highly toxic to cats and result in damage to the kidneys and even kidney failure in some cases.
With Easter (and Easter lilies!) becoming popular at the moment it is extra important to be aware of the potential dangers of this plant. Symptoms if ingested can include vomiting, drooling, lethargy, drinking more, inappetance and more. It is always best to check with your florist whether plants are in the Lily family or even better – check the genus/species name!
Luckily Rasmus’ owners are extremely dedicated and after almost a whole week on intravenous fluids he was able to go home (and will still need to have some ongoing tests to check his kidneys). We are so glad Rasmus is feeling better!
Posted on 12 March 2018
Last updated on 11 December 2019